Memory Clinic Mailing – the best way to spread awareness about Join Dementia Research
There was a 5% uptake, with more people registering on Join Dementia Research during the first 3 months following the initiative compared to the number who registered within the past year.
- Ensure you are working within the guidelines and principles of general data protection regulations
- Include a registration form with the letter
- Focus on one initiative that is likely to have the biggest impact
- If possible, offer the name, number, and availability of a local Join Dementia Research champion who can be contacted if people have any questions or queries about Join Dementia Research and the registration process
Support at home – the key to signing up new recruits
She has spent the last eight months testing a range of different approaches and has identified one that is particularly successful – offering a home visit.
In 2016-2017, 818 people were recruited. Almost double the amount, compared to other trusts with a similar numbers of people with dementia, where they don’t make home visits.
- Identify the correct contact person or key gatekeeper in every organisation or voluntary group
- Compare and contrast the best communication tools for use across a given geographical area taking into account peoples preferences
- Understand that considerable time can be needed to agree wording on communication tools like leaflets or for questions in a questionnaire
- Keep the design and appearance of the questionnaire simple and ensure that the wording is clear and formulated in such a way as to engage the respondent
- Ensure that translated versions of the questionnaire are available for the most commonly used languages amongst your target population
Embedding Research Consultation
- Be equipped with Join Dementia Research materials which best suit the individual
- Make sure to arrange the home visit for the most appropriate time for the individual
- Create a spreadsheet for monitoring purposes
- Provide referral progress charts for clinicians
- Ensure the referral process suits each individual clinician/clinic by being aware of their dementia pathway
- Be aware of research studies in the area of each home visit so you are prepared with an example of a study they may match to