Multiple Approaches to Raise Awareness About Join Dementia Research
- Use the Alzheimer’s Society website to find help find potential Research Champion Organisations within a certain area, including those outside of Alzheimer’s Society.
- Directly approach the managers of potential Research Champion Organisations to get quick results. Offer to meet them and discuss current studies that they can promote.
- When approaching pharmacies to help promote Join Dementia Research, contacting pharmacy superintendents has shown faster results. Make things as easy as possible for them to enhance the chances of their assistance with promoting Join Dementia Research.
Promoting Join Dementia Research across a geographical region
- Build collaborative relationships with partner organisations and work together to promote Join Dementia Research
- Find common aims with partner organisations to work effectively together to promote research
- Ensure awareness campaigns have a project manager or someone who can lead, support and supervise the project
- Utilise Social Media platforms – this is a rapid way of reaching a widespread audience
- Understand your target audience and tailor campaigns to suit them
- Liaise with partner organisations to work out the most effective ways of utilising and individualising resources to suit the specific project
- Invest in continued relationship with Trusts and partner organisations to explore new avenues for campaigns in the future
- Explore possibilities to engage with local universities to raise awareness of Join Dementia Research
Organising and running an awareness week
- Be inventive with your ideas, don’t be afraid to try something different
- Know your audience – this can include patients, family members, hospital visitors, staff
- Find out what your team can manage in terms of support before and during the campaign
- Delegate a co-ordinator and specific tasks to staff members
- Tailor discussions to suit your audience – whether this involves considering how individuals without dementia can sign up and be involved, how staff members can sign-up and promote Join Dementia Research in their working area or about current trials individuals may have the opportunity to take part in
- Be aware of the stigma behind research, taking part in research can be a daunting prospect. When talking to families about Join Dementia Research try to use examples of where others have been involved and assure them that they will be part of a team
- Plan ahead – ideally at least six months in advance
- Speak to your Trust’s communications department and the Communications Lead at the NIHR local Clinical Research Network; inform them of the upcoming event and activities you are planning
- Contact the national Join Dementia Research team to inform them of your plans – they can help promote local activities and initiatives
- Utilise Social Media platforms to promote the event and continue to raise awareness of Join Dementia Research