Join Dementia Research Kiosks
For the past 18 months Join Dementia Research Kiosks have been placed in more than 173 locations around the country, received almost 3,000 enquires, and helped 630 people fully register. on Join Dementia Research. The locations these kiosk have been based have varied from GP Surgeries, Pharmacies, and Memory Clinics, to being used by volunteers in public places and at events.
Statistics on where Join Dementia Research kiosk is placed, when it was last online, how often it is used, and the number of registrations received are available on request.
What are these kiosks?
The Join Dementia Research Kiosks were brought about to supplement the printed materials we already produce. We needed something that allowed people to immediately express an interest but didn’t need lots of staff time. It also need to be usable by those who didn’t have access to email of the internet, and it had to be engaging, self-sufficient, and simple to set up and use.
Enter version one…
The Join Dementia Research Kiosks host a small tablet computer, which is locked to running a single website. They run a short animated, subtitled film, on a loop. The film talks about what Join Dementia Research service is, how it works, how it can help people and how to get involved. After watching, or skipping the film, the user is shown a few bullet points to explain why we want their details and what we will do with them. Then they are invited to provide their name, telephone / email address, region they come from, and how they would like to get more information (details on our governance around kiosks is available here).
After this, according to their preference, the user either gets a call from one of our charity partners to discuss the service further (they will also help the person register), or email, which provides more information and details on how to fully register. Then each month, we email people again, for up to a year with more information and reasons to join (if they already joined, they are asked to unsubscribe from emails). After a year, we stop – figuring if the volunteer didn’t already join by that point, they’re probably not interested.
What have we learnt?
Well here is a list of things we know will ensure you get the most out of a Join Dementia Research Kiosk:
- Reliable wifi is essential – some NHS wifi systems only connect continually for a couple of days. So good wifi, check the kiosk every day, and reconnect as needed (no need to turn off).
- Location, Location, Location – kiosks need to be positioned in places where people spend time waiting (not in locked rooms or corridors). Locations which are visited every day are ideal.
- Encourage – where possible it really helps if you sign-post people to the kiosk, by telling them, mentioning it in letters, on viewing screens, and posters.
- Roaming – one of our best performing Join Dementia Research Kiosks is used by a group of volunteer champions in Northamptonshire. They travel the local area, visiting public places and encouraging people to register, find out how in this case study.
- Keep the box – the outer packing for Join Dementia Research Kiosks costs us a small fortune. Please keep the box, so when it comes time to move, we have packaging that stops the kiosk getting damaged.
Get yours today
We have around 100 Join Dementia Kiosks (we had more but there are some wild stories around how they got damaged, lost or stolen). This month, we designed a new smaller, counter-top kiosk. This new design is smaller, easier to package and move, and includes instructions on the back!
If you have the perfect location for a kiosk, or have any problems with the one you have, drop us a line on firstname.lastname@example.org